Monday, November 4, 2013

Cake #22 - Torta di Ricotta

This is a no-nonsense, easy to make, and delicious cake.  I've never had anything quite like it - but I liken the flavor to the cheese in a cheese danish.  But it's not really quite like that.  It's not as sweet or creamy, but it has a similar savory, breakfasty quality.  (I had several thin pieces for breakfast during the week.  I believe this cake is best in thin slices - almost like you eat a nice piece of cheese.)



I was inspired to try it because my husband and I had been to a local pizza place called Falora where we had a yummy pizza with eggplant, sweet peppers, arugula, and the most delicious ricotta I've ever eaten in my life. It was as if I'd never had ricotta before, it was that wonderful and different from what I have used for countless lasagnas and stuffed shells.  When I found this recipe, I figured I'd scare up some fancy ricotta for the cake.  But none of my various grocery stores had special ricotta, so I ended up with the usual, which tasted good in this recipe nonetheless.



The only modification I made was that my raisins were a little dried out, so I plumped them up by warming 1/2 cup of rum and soaking them for 30 minutes before incorporating them into the recipe.  I patted them dry and then dusted them with flour (to avoid having them all sink).



Torta di Ricotta


2 pounds ricotta cheese
1 cup sugar
4 eggs
1 tablespoon freshly grated lemon peel
1 cup unbleached flour
½ teaspoon salt
1 teaspoon baking powder
1 cup raisins

1.       Preheat oven to 350 degrees.  Butter and flour a nine-inch cake pan.
2.       Using a food processor, whirl the ricotta, sugar, eggs and lemon peel until smooth, about 1 minute.  Transfer the ricotta mixture to a bowl and stir in the flour, salt, and baking powder until well blended.  Fold in the raisins. 
3.       Pour the batter into the prepared pan and bake for 1 hour and 5 minutes, or until a knife inserted in the center comes out clean.  Cool the cake in the pan for 10 minutes and then turn out onto a serving plate – or serve directly from the pan when completely cool. 


From Moosewood Restaurant Book of Desserts by the Moosewood Collective

No comments:

Post a Comment