Sunday, October 20, 2013

Cake #21 - Gingerbread with Apples

Having returned my Vintage Cakes and Cake Simple cookbooks to the library, I was at a loss for what to bake next.  I stopped by the library and picked up a couple of new books, but the one that has commanded my attention is The Fearless Baker: Scrumptious Cakes, Pies, Cobblers, Cookies, and Quick Breads That you Can Make to Impress Your Friends and Yourself.  It's designed for people who are scared to bake (which isn't my situation) and it goes into great detail about how to do each step, for those who don't know how to read between the lines of a recipe.  But I also like the accessible tone and the wide range of recipes.  There aren't many pictures, which is a drag, but this gingerbread with apples recipe intrigued me. Even though we're still having high temperatures in the 80s and 90s in Arizona (in October) the idea of these fall flavors seemed appealing. 

This recipe is super quick to make - chop the apples, mix dry ingredients in one bowl, heat the sugars and butter in a saucepan, and then combine the wet with the dry, and into the prepared baking pan.  I didn't cool the cake completely before covering it, so in the morning it was a bit soggy.  I popped the whole thing back into the oven and lightly broiled it to dry it out, and it was as good as new.



I took it in to my colleagues who were appreciative, and I think this one is a keeper.  The apples (which mostly floated to the top) create a moist addition, and somehow make the cake seem more healthy.  The cookbook recommends serving with whipped cream - which I did for my daughter's piece - but my co-workers got just gingerbread, and I didn't hear a single complaint!




Gingerbread with Apples

2 apples (any kind you like)
2 cups unbleached all-purpose flour
1 ½ teaspoons baking soda
1 tablespoon ground ginger
1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
¼ teaspoon nutmeg
½ teaspoon kosher salt
8 tablespoons (1 stick) unsalted butter
½ cup molasses
½ cup maple syrup
¼ cup firmly packed brown sugar
2 large eggs
¾ cup boiling water

1.       Preheat oven to 350 degrees.  Butter and flour a nine-inch square cake pan.

2.       Peel the apples and cut off the sides, discarding the remaining core.  Cut apple into small (1/2-inch) pieces.  Set aside.

3.       Over a bowl, sift the flour, baking soda, ginger, cinnamon, and nutmeg together in a sifter or in a fine strainer by gently tapping your hand against the edge.  Add the salt (you can just leave it on top of the flour pile because it gets mixed in later). 

4.       In a medium saucepan over medium heat, melt the butter with the molasses, maple syrup, and brown sugar.  With a whisk, stir into the flour mixture until well combined.  Whisk in the eggs.  Stir in the boiling water and then the apple pieces.

5.       Pour the batter into the prepared pan and bake on the middle rack of the oven until a bamboo skewer inserted into the middle comes out clean, about 45 minutes.  Cool to room temperature and turn out of the pan.  Cut the cake into squares.   

 
From The Fearless Baker by Emily Luchetti and Lisa Weiss





No comments:

Post a Comment